Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lunchtime!

A lot of people tend to forget that lunch should be the second best meal of the day. What else is going to get you moving till its time to clock out! If you sit in an office all day, lunchtime is your chance to pick up some extra energy and stay productive. If you are out and about all day then a hearty, healthy lunch is vital to keep moving at a productive pace. I work mostly from home and when lunch time comes around I get excited. Not only because I am hungry but the food I have been eating lately really satisfies my taste buds. Choosing foods that have a generous amount of protein and grains will get you through the day with ease.

This was my lunch today. Quorn nuggets and brown rice. It's one of my favorite lunches! Packed with a total of 18 grams of protein and only 10 grams of fat this meal is great for lunchtime. Not only is it filling but super easy to make. I usually make a big portion of rice ahead of time so I have it for the week. ( I eat a lot of brown rice) Then just heat it up when I want to. I even eat it for breakfast. Don't be a prisoner to the breakfast food norm. It should be the biggest meal of your day and that doesn't mean you should load eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes on to your plate. I can see you getting fatter by the minute if you do! You want to eat something that has nutrients and protein but not a lot of fat and cholesterol. Also, don't run from carbs. You need them just as much as protein. If you have a nice even mix you should be fine.



Here are some more lunch ideas for you or anyone in your family.

- Burritos: I combine brown rice, corn, peppers, onions, tomato sauce, Quorn veggie crumbles and cheese. Sometimes I add black beans to maximize the protein. Amy's and Evol make awesome burritos so check them out!

- Sandwich: Quorn chik'n patty on a whole wheat bun with lettuce and a little mayonnaise. You can also put some mozzarella cheese on it and its a whole different sandwich. Another great idea is to roast up some veggies in the oven or on the grill and place them on some italian bread or a whole wheat roll. I would suggest peppers, onions, broccoli, mushrooms and asparagus. Yummo! You can use the Quorn Chik'n Tenders to make an alternative chicken salad too. Just saute them, chop them all up and mix in some mayonnaise, salt & pepper, some fresh herbs and your good to go!

- Soup: You can make a soup out of anything! Get creative and get cooking. Make it on a Sunday and have a couple of lunches for the week. I love vegetable soup, tomato soup and broccoli and cheese soup.

- Pizza: Pizza comes in all different styles so you will definitely find one you like. Don't get stuck in traditional thinking! You can put anything on dough. I like to use whole wheat flatbread and add ricotta, mozzarella, peppers and onions. Yum! The best frozen pizza I have ever ate is Amy's. They sell for under $6 at Target and are worth every penny! I like the cheese pizza with organic flour and tomatoes.

- Salad: I love salad. My favorite is a simple house salad with feta cheese but there are tons of different ways to put together a salad. Whatever you like to eat, throw it in. Add nuts, fruits, veggies...the list can go on and on. Stay away from pre-bagged lettuce and go for the fresh romaine or iceberg.

These are just a few things you can eat for lunch. Don't forget the classics: PB & J and Macaroni & Cheese are always good. Amy's makes a great mac n cheese you should try. My boyfriend loves them. You can always eat leftovers too. When I cook (which is all the time!) I try to make more than we need so I have something to eat for breakfast or lunch the next day. It makes my day a whole lot easier! So eat a healthy lunch and I promise your day will run a little smoother. Snacks always come in handy too so add a couple of nutritious treats to your day and you will have a reason to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment