Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Mighty Breakfast

Every weekend I try to make sure my fiance Danny gets to eat a hearty breakfast. During the week he mostly eats cereal because it's easier to make before work. This morning I made one of his favorites, a cheese omelette with a side of potatoes. I don't eat eggs anymore but I don't mind cooking them for him. At least I know he is getting protein and will be full till lunch.

It's quite simple how I make it. The potatoes are just cut into small pieces and sauteed in a little olive oil and Earth Balance butter. About 20 minutes into the cooking time I add the chopped onions and let them cook a little more. You want the potatoes to have a nice crisp crust on the outside but not charred. I also add a little salt and pepper to them while they cook.

For the omelette I just use 2 organic brown eggs and add a little almond milk, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork then pour into a small hot pan with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance butter. You want the heat on low here, about a level 2. Eggs always need to cook slow. As they cook, bring the outer edges in with a wooden spoon or spatula and let the uncooked egg fill the spaces. After a couple of minutes, turn the eggs over. This is when I add a piece of cheese. Then I turn half the omelette over to cover the cheese until it melts. Done!

Sometimes I like to use fresh herbs in the egg mixture. Parsley and basil work well. Add a little paprika for some heat or some scallions for a light onion taste.

It always makes me feel good knowing I can provide a healthy and satisfying meal for Danny as well as others. To see smiles on their faces and knowing their tummies are full is what makes all the difference. Cooking up a mighty breakfast is important to start the day off right and get your body in motion. So spread the love through food and cook up a picture perfect meal that will satisfy both the king and queens of eats!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! nice blog.

    check out mine? www.electricbrandon.com

    follow it if you're into photography. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete